Monday, October 10, 2011

Crock Pot Pumpkin Bread Pudding

I know that this time of year, everyone eats pumpkin everything.  Pumpkin bread. Pumpkin doughnuts. Pumpkin coffee.  Even pumpkin beer.   I pride myself on my commitment to eat this delicious squash year round, and try not to get overly excited (at least not outwardly) about the seasonal goodies that abound.  However, when I saw this recipe pop up on my Facebook newsfeed a few weeks ago, I just had to try it… or modify it, and try my own version.   
I was a little bit underwhelmed at first, and for about a week or more, I have been thinking about just deleting the pictures along with the thoughts about writing about it.  Then I realized that all that was missing was a buttery bourbony sauce to go on top (like the one with this recipe).  I drizzled some maple syrup on top of mine, which was good, too, but a real, proper sauce would have just done great things for this bread pudding.   Anyway, I’m sorry about the ugly picture of the final product.  I was quickly running out of daylight, and honestly, I was just ready to eat!
Start with some hard white bread, and cut it into cubes.  You will need about 5 cups.  I used our electric knife, which made the job so much easier.  If I had just used our regular knife, I would probably still be in there sawing away.

Then put the bread cubes in the bottom of the Crock Pot.  (Again with the sideways pictures! I promise that I will figure out how to fix this one day soon!!)

Throw in a couple of hand fulls of golden raisins.

Then, put 1 1/4 cups of milk in a bowl.  Preferably a pumpkin colored bowl.

Add 3/4 of a cup of canned pumpkin.

Add 1/2 of a cup of honey.  (On a side note, don't stick the little plastic bear in the microwave, thinking that you are going to melt that last little bit of honey out.  You will melt much more than the honey in the bottom.)

Add 2 whole eggs and 3 egg whites.

Add 1/2 of a teaspoon of ground cinnamon, 1/4 of a teaspoon of ground ginger, 1/8 of a teaspoon of ground allspice, and a pinch of ground clove.

Stir it up with a whisk.

Pour the wet mixture over the bread cubes.

Mix it all up. 

Turn the Crock Pot (or slow cooker of choice) on low, and cook for about 4 hours.
We left the house for a little while, and mine cooked for 4 1/2 hours, and it was VERY burnt around the edges, but cooking times will vary, so just keep an eye on it.
And here it is: the final ugly picture. It was pretty tasty though!!

Here's your recipe:

Crock Pot Pumpkin Bread Pudding

5 c. bread, cubed
1 1/4 c. milk
1 c. golden raisins (optional)
3/4 c. canned pumpkin
1/2 c. honey
2 whole eggs
3 egg whites
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/8 tsp. ground allspice
pinch of ground cloves

Put bread and raisins in the crock of a slow cooker. Mix remaining ingredients in a bowl, and pour over bread and raisins.  Stir and cook on low for approximately 4 hours.

Check me out (and "like" me) on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/TheSleepyCook

No comments:

Post a Comment