Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Oven Fried Chicken

I recently became one of the last people in the world to get on the Pinterest train, and my only regret is that I didn’t join sooner.  Okay, maybe I also regret all of the time that I waste “pinning” things, when I should actually be getting stuff done, but if I weren’t on Pinterest, I would find some other way to waste my time. 
The first time I got on Pinterest, I saw where people kept pinning this recipe, so I decided that I needed to try it, and I’m sure glad that I did.  I definitely wouldn’t say that it tastes exactly like real fried chicken, but it’s so good that you won’t care.
Start by preheating the oven to 400 degrees, then measure out 2 1/4 cups broken bagel chips.

Put them in a food processor, and grind them up until they're teeny tiny.  Then pour it in a bowl.
Measure out 1 1/3 cups rice cereal (like Chex), then grind it up in the food processor, and pour it in the bowl with the ground up bagel chips.
Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the bowl.
Add 2 teaspoons kosher salt,
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper,
1/2 a teaspoon paprika,
and 1/2 a teaspoon black pepper.
Then, stir it up really well.
Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil, and place a rack on top, and spray very well with nonstick spary.  I know that you aren't supposed to use coated racks, but that's what I always use, and it works just fine.
In another bowl, mix together 1/2 a cup of light mayo with 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard. I was really really worried about this part.  Mayo really skeeves me out, and I was worried that the chicken would be all mayonnaisey, but we couldn't even taste it.  However, I did have to go to take a shower after touching the mayo.  Yuck!
Put a piece of chicken in there, and cover both sides.  I used thin cut chicken breasts, and it turned out really well.
Then, put the mayo coated chicken in the bowl with the bagel chip/cereal mixture, and cover on both sides. Place the coated chicken on the rack, and coat the other 3 chicken breasts.
Spray the top of the chicken with nonstick spray, and bake for about 40 minutes.
Yummy!!

Don't forget to like my Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment